Sunday, January 10, 2010

A List: Things I Love About Ballet


1. Performing...I can't even explain how incredible it is to perform in front of a packed audience. The energy is insane when you are on your game and the audience is cheering you on.
2. Tutus...My most fabulous tutu's were hand made by my mother. Gorgeous! I had a few from the Bolshoi Ballet (all the way from Russia) that were just beautiful as well!
3. Tiaras...You can't beat such a literal interpretation of being a princess then putting on a tiara and having a spotlight on you.
4. Swan Arms...Your arms get so buff when you are staring in a mirror trying to make your arms move like a swan for hours...I mean really? Swans don't even have arms to flap, they have wings! So this task of 'being the swan' is impossible, but it makes for a great time.
5. Balanchine...If you haven't seen a Balanchine ballet, you are missing out. Even if you hate ballet, you'll like this guys stuff. The first ballet I ever performed for Aaron was a Balanchine Ballet.
6. Getting Paid to Dance...When I got my first professional contract I was in shock that I was getting a weekly pay check to pirouette and grande jete all day. I felt like an NFL star who was getting paid to throw a ball around...minus the millions of dollars a year, but basically the same idea.
7. Teaching...There are very few things that are as fun to me than having a talented group of kids to teach.
8. The Orchestra...When I would perform with a full orchestra I would often get so lost in how beautiful the music was. Dancing to live music made me so aware of how multi layered classical music can be.
9. The Music Box Ballerina...so many girls have that famous jewelry box with the spinning ballerina inside, even though her position is technically incorrect, it's still adorable!
10. New York City...my favorite place I studied ballet growing up. It's really the dance mecca of the country. In one tiny island, there is so much love and appreciation for dance, it's really amazing!
11. Fake Eyelashes...Really? Oh yes! I don't feel comfortable wearing them in a normal social situation. However, when it's show time I find the biggest most curly eyelashes to glue on! I mean a girl can never have to big of eyes or to long of eyelashes.
12. I'm Always in need of a foot rub...And nobody in their right mind is going to deny a poor girl who has had her feet in pointe shoes for six hours a foot rub...no matter how rancid my feet may smell.


Me performing in " The Sleeping Beauty"...see it's so easy to be a princess in the ballet world


I'm on the far left...performing at the Cirque Du Soleil Mystere Theatre. One of my favorite shows ever!


My University of Utah Days

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you have something you love so much. It is great to have passion for something in life. Addie can't wait for her personal ballet lessons from aunt Jemap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tips on what the U ballet department looks for?

    ReplyDelete